Wednesday 8 October 2014

Faux wood tutorial for IBS

Hello my dear crafty friends and welcome to my new tutorial made for Inspired by Stamping company.
This time I am going to teach you how to make Faux Wood background (just one of the ways I am going to show in a few next months).
This tutorial is based on gesso and stencil way of making your Faux wood background.
Step 1: Make your own tooth brush tool by cutting  each second  row  from the old or Hotel (bad unused) tooth brush. Then apply gesso over the white thin cardboard as I did here. 



Step 2: Take your wood grain stencil (there are a lot on the market and it's just one you must have piece) and add more gesso over the first gesso layer. You also can  use white texture paste if you want more textural background. Add some  clear embossing powder over the texture and heat emboss it to limit your drying time and to give this piece more interest.



Step 3: Use Terra Cotta Walnut ink and a simple baby wipe and add color with misting around the dry piece from the previous step. Add as little or as much as you want: this will make your wood color lighter or darker, depends on your wishes only. Let the mist dry and please use gloves or try to keep you fingers out of the mist as this mist is pretty messy; unless you really don't care about your  hands and want the whole world to see that you are a real Mixed Media artist. 


Step 4: Imitate the wooden plaque with simple dark brown lines made with the darker color of Walnut ink and the simple and cheap Fantastix tool. Use your metal ruler to make the lines: just dip your tool into the ink and draw the lines over .


And now for the small finished project I made using this handmade background.
As I used the whole piece for the bigger frame project , I just had small leftovers and make this lovely wooden plaque with 5  pieces of my " wood".
I stamped some leaves and small flowers directly over the background using  permanent inks and then made three stamped titles using some  Inspiring Sentiments  my most beloved  IBS set. The leaves and flowers are from new just released Autumn Blessings set.






No comments:

Popular Posts